Sunday, August 30, 2026

New Normal

 Well, it’s been over 5 months since my last post. That flare was indeed terrible- it lasted a month, with the subsequent fibromyalgia flare lasting through the end of June. All my big hopes for getting back into being active post foot injury felt like they disappeared into nothing as my muscles atrophied and every day was a struggle just to exist. 

But, something pretty special happened over the summer. My youngest, Noah, insisted we start daily 7 am walks. And even though I was exhausted and it hurt to move, I knew how important finding a summer routine was for him, and so I said yes. And after a month of those walks, the fibro fog lifted and I started to feel more like myself.

We took trips, to Tahoe and Redwood and Lassen and even though travel usually wrecks me, I stayed healthy and strong. We were even able to climb Lassen Peak as a family, hitting 5 miles and 2,000 feet of gain and our tallest peak ever at 10,500 feet. 

Now I’m back at work, only 4 days a week to start, to try to protect this fragile health that I’ve carved out for myself. I’m still walking every day and weight lifting 2-3 days a week. I’m purposefully pushing aside my running dreams for my dream of health. And it’s hard, and it’s messy, but it’s worth it. 

No comments: