Friday, March 19, 2010

Jumping Back In

Tomorrow I'm going to be embarking on an exciting journey - up to Mt. Diablo!

Now, before you think I'm crazy, the race I'm doing tomorrow does NOT summit the mountain. That, after all, was pretty much what screwed up my leg to begin with!

This race is more, I think, through the foothills, starting and ending at Castle Rock State Park. However, it is a half marathon. While this doesn't seem big in the grand scheme of race distances, this will be the furthest I have run since I got injured 2 1/2 years ago. I have to admit that I'm a little nervous.

Luckily, though, Ed has promised to stick with me for the whole thing, no matter how slow I have to go. He's even willing to carry the camera since I want picture but am not yet up to the point where I can carry my backpack for long distances without it bothering me. I know it will be beautiful because, after weeks of storming, the last week has been 70+ and sunny - just gorgeous. My fingers are crossed for some amazing wildflowers.

I'm still not sure where I'm going after this run. I really didn't think I'd be able to get up to this distance so easily, and since my leg still is funny (talking to me right now, in fact) I don't want to jeopardize it. I think I might hang out at this distance for a while - the 10 - 14 mile mark, which seems far enough to enjoy some good trail time but short enough that it feels "safe".

It's exciting, though, be be "back." One of my colleagues told me today that I look like a completely different person from the beginning of the year, and I feel that way, too.

Wish me luck tomorrow :)

8 comments:

Golden Trails Dave said...

You'll do GREAT!

runningtwig said...

Good luck!!

Sarah said...

Best of luck to you! I'm sure you'll have a blast. Looking forward to your report and pictures!

Abbie said...

Good luck Addy - you'll do great!

Christine said...

I'm sure you'll be fine, but in any event, GOOD LUCK!!

Adelyn said...

Thanks guys!

Southbaygirl said...

well??? How was it???? Did you have a fantastic time???

Glenn Jones said...

Hope you had fun!