Friday, June 06, 2008

Starting to Breathe

Today was my last day of student teaching.

Ever.

The next time I'm in a classroom with children I will be the real teacher, and the only teacher in there. It's a pretty powerful thought.

It was a great last day, as we spent the whole time at the pool. The kids were watched by a team of lifeguards, so I just got to enjoy sitting outside, occassionally going over to check in with some of my kids, and enjoy the sunshine. Then we had lunch together, played some water balloon games, and had watermellon. The class gave me a basket of teacher goodies (glue sticks, tape, stickers, etc.) and a really nice book with a letter from each student. This was a very challenging placement, and I'm glad to be finished, but I will miss the kids. No matter how tough a bunch, you can't help but fall for them.

Now that that's over, the Big Move has moved into priority.


(Ed on our new patio)

Ed helped me with packing tonight (after he finished most of his this afternoon) and I can now say that I am pretty much packed. The only things still in need are the ones that I'll need the next day and a bit, or things that we don't have good boxes for (i.e. my printer) that will just go in a car. We're picking the U-haul up at 2:30 tomorrow afternoon and will be loading all afternoon and evening, with it hopefully all done by the time we have dinner (or maybe just go to bed).

We can't move in until 3:30 sunday, so we'll be getting up early and going to various places in South Bay to pick up some more things (our bed, bookcases we're buying from someone off craigslist, some furniture-including a futon couch and my papasan chair from my best friend, and a kitchen table from Ed's friend). Hopefully everything will fit in the uhaul, otherwise, we'll have to unload some stuff and leave one of us behind to babysit while the other goes to pick up things. Luckily, Ed's brother is currently in town and has a truck, so if worse comes to worse and we run out of room, we might be able to get some of that stuff monday.

While Santa Cruz has been a fun (and beautiful) place to live, I'm really excited to be moving to Campbell and get the adult phase of my life started. I couldn't be happier :)


Outside out new apartment

8 comments:

runningtwig said...

Yay! Good for you! You have a lot of big changes coming up and I know you'll do great! Good luck with the move!

Norbert Leinfellner said...

It was good to see you 2 today in Mountain View!
Have fun at the new place,
Norbert

Southbaygirl said...

Congrats on the move-and good luck with it, moving sucks and yippee for being done with student teaching!!! I'm sorry you're moving away from all your trail running spots-but I'm sure you will find places to run in Campbell-and you can always go back to Santa Cruz on the weekends for runs!!!

Hope that knee continues to get stronger!!

Soapin' Cindy said...

I'm so excited for you Addy! You are all grown up! Keep doing what is good for your body. It's good for me to be reading this. You've not run in awhile, but you're OK. I could really use some time off from running to heal my injuries, but I've been resistant. Nice apartment. Keep us posted!

Ryan said...

Don't push yourself to hard, keep up the cross training and best wishes on the move.

Cheers

Gretchen said...

Congrats on finishing your student teaching, that is HUGE! Very exciting stuff. Hope the move is smooth and that the new diggs treat you well.

Rick Gaston said...

I hope the big move went well. I like the new patio. I can see you having get together's there on cool evenings. Ed certainly looks happy:)

Anonymous said...

Found your blog, and the teacher/runner combination caught my eye. Great job with both. The internal dedication you must have is incredible. Keep up the good work.