Saturday, September 27, 2008

My boyfriend's an ultrarunner :D

It was a wonderful day for a 50k in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

After the less than favorable run at Redwood a bit less than a month ago, Ed was eager to try his luck at this formidable distance once again.

The day started perfectly- high fifties and fog as we dipped into Santa Cruz and arrived at the race start. Parking was easy and after a quick bathroom stop, it was time to go. Wendell called the runners over to the sidewalk (they would start with a 'victory loop' before heading off into the forest) to explain directions. This part has gotten me a little these last two races, wishing I could be one of the runners instead of having to move aside. But, I was excited to see Ed take off, and I had a good feeling about this race.

In a very short time, they took off, and I left for my car. I went to a cafe for the morning, got some breakfast and spent a leisurely few hours writing responses to my class's journals, reading and just relaxing. Ed planned to be finished with the first 29k in about 3 hours, so I headed back around 11am. Ed came through right on time, in around 2:58! He looked strong and happy, which was exciting. I got him some food while he stretched and then, after just a few minutes he was off again.

Before he left Sarah recommended that I head out to the river crossing myself so that I could see him again before the finish. So, back in the car again and up highway 9. I was a little worried I went the wrong way, since I had only gone on that highway once, but soon enough I say the caution signs for the runners and knew I was almost there. The parking lot was exactly where it was said to be, so I parked, got my water and my book, and took off down the trail.

Now, I was planning to hike all this, but as I started down the fireroad, with the redwoods above me and the soft dirt below me, I got a little carried away. "A half mile won't hurt me" I said to myself, and ran down the trail with my book in one hand and my big water bottle in the other. I felt a little silly, both with my accessories, and also with my non running outfit (cotton capris that were definitely not made for running!). Still, it was so fun running down the hill :)

Once I got to the bottom, it flattened out and I got a glimpse of the beautiful San Lorenzo river. In not too much longer, I reached the river crossing and cleared of a patch of sand to make my camp for the next 20 minutes or so. Just as I was about to sit down and read, I voice called out "Hello?"

It was Keith, the photographer. We began chatting and ended up talking the whole time I was down there, with breaks so he could do his job. It was so nice being down by the river, and I wished I had gone down earlier as well to see Ed go on the first loop. I got a definite kick out of watching people do that river crossing. The river was fairly deep in the middle, going up to mid thigh on most. Some people just ran through, some took off their shoes and gingerly crossed (one even had flip flops!), and one jumped all the way in, going completely under for a few seconds. In about 20 minutes, Ed arrived and crossed himself.

I hung out a little longer once he finished his crossing and then headed back. Once I got out of sight from the river, I started running again and kept it up until that climb began. Then, I had a lovely hike back to the car. I cheered on all the runners I saw coming down and in next to no time, I was back on my way to the finish.

I went back to the finish line and got out my kids' journals once again. But, I didn't get much done as I started chatting to others. There was a woman there waiting for her husband, and we talked for a bit. Also, I got to see Hao again, which was fun (I previously saw him at Redwoods volunteering).

A few 50k runners started trickling in, including that woman's husband, and I started to keep my eyes out for Ed. A man came in that I recognized as the guy near Ed during his river crossing, so I knew it probably wouldn't be too much longer (as long as he was doing okay). About 10 or so minutes later I saw a handsome shirtless man running through the last stretch of trail. I quickly jumped off my bench and ran over to the finish line, just in time to see Ed finish his first Ultra.

He had the ultra respectable time of 5:40 (or even a bit less), which is crazy.

I'm so proud of him! He did amazingly.

Even better, he had a great time, and felt great out there (for the most part). I do believe that more of these races will be in his future :D

Edited to add: He's not sore today- at all. How does one not get sore after their first ultra (or rather, first run over 22 miles)? Seriously...his body is made for this stuff.

Also, he got 7th overall :D


Sensationally Red said...

Congratulations to Ed and Happy Belated Birthday to you!! Your birthday is the same as my Nice hear that you and Ed are so happy.

Journey to a Centum said...

Congratulations Ed! You'll be sore tomorrow.

Nice job crewing your man Addy! You realize you have just become a running widow for many weekends to come. That is unless Ed is actually somewhat sane and can ignore the temptation of running another 50K in the next two weeks.

Jean said...

Wow, his first run over 22 miles and he finished a 50k in that time with a top 10 finish? He must be born to do it! That is awesome!

Congratulations to Ed!

Southbay Girl said...

Congrats to Ed-how wonderful!!!

runningtwig said...

Congrats to Ed! That is an amazing time for his first 50K! Born to be an ultrarunner for sure!

And happy belated birthday!

Jessica Deline said...

congrats to Ed! That's an awesome time too!

Rick Gaston said...

Oh that's great stuff, 5:40 is great time for a his first 50k. It's so beautiful out there, must have been gorgeous by the river. Sound like a great time.

Backofpack said...

Yay! Congrats to Ed - what fun!

Phil said...

Congratulations to Ed .. that's an insane distance.

Sarah said...

So great to see you both, and congrats again to Ed for his fine run - a great first 50 Km effort!! He did look so good at 29 Km and so strong at the finish, and I'm really glad that you enjoyed your trek to the river.

Thanks again to both of you for coming out.

Sarah (PCTR)