Wednesday, October 29, 2008

New Doctor, New Hopes?

Well, my new insurance finally kicked in, so I finally got to see a much needed sports doctor.

I was initially looking for just a general doctor because I needed a physical for work, but ended up finding one that was both general and sports and thought- perfect!

He seemed very nice and listened as I gave him the long list of problems and what I had already tried. He ran me through the normal tests which, like always, didn't show much. From what I said and what little he could tell, he thinks its the pireformis (sp?) muscle pushing on my sciatic, which makes sense from the research I've done.

The plan is to get him my file and test results from before, and then come pack in a few weeks for a follow up. There's a treadmill in their building, so he'll have me run on it and then run me through some tests to see how they effect things. He also knows of some good PTs that are great with tough cases.

His plan is to get me back to ultras, which he thinks is totally possible, so I'm feeling optimistic!

*fingers crossed*

11 comments:

Rick Gaston said...

Crossing my fingers as well! What a journey this has been.

Jean said...

Good luck, Addy! I hope he is able to get you back on the road to running. All the best!

Josh said...

Hope! That's awesome! You and Ed will be running your first 100 miler together in no time :)

Christine said...

I'm really glad he's committed to getting you back to what you want to do. That kind of determination is a good sign in a doctor.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Addy! I hope they get it solved for you!

Abbie said...

seems like this doctor is at least closer/committed to finding out what's going on - sounds promising! :)

Soapin' Cindy said...

I'm crossin my fingers and sending you all the positive energy I can muster. Keep us posted on your progress.

209Mike said...

Sounds promising. Good luck getting this taken care of.

Phil said...

Best of luck Addy ... hope to see you out running ultra's again.

Southbaygirl said...

I will definitely be keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Journey to a Centum said...

With your new hope comment I thought you were going to tell us that your new doctor was Barack Obama!

Sounds like a good PT and some kick ass exercises to help develop other muscles to help keep the pressure off your sciatic nerve are in order.

Good luck working toward a solution to get you back on the trails!

Cheers!
Eric