Saturday, October 24, 2009

Trying it out

I feel somewhat hesitant to post about this, since it always seems that I get overly excited and then things don't work, but I finally have to reveal this secret.

I've been running.

It started about a week and a half ago, when I bored at the end of one of my walks (and it was getting dark). I decided to start jogging a little. I jogged maybe 7 or 8 minutes that day, but the seed was planted.

The next time I went out, Ed and I headed to the trail I talked about in the last post (my new favorite) and this time I ran a lot more! I felt so accomplished.

The next morning I went out with Ed and we walked/ran a half hour out and the I ran most of the way back. It was great.

So...now I'm sort of exclusively 'running'. I have run 3 times this week, each time over 3 miles. My foot is bothering me, but my leg doesn't seem worse, and I am feeling a lot stronger!

I ran about 3 1/2 miles with Ed today, and while it isn't easy, it does feel good. Afterwards, we went and registered for wedding presents (very fun :) ) and then went to pick up Ed's bib for his marathon. Dean Karnazes is hosting his race and was speaking there, and we timed it so Ed could hear him speak. I was wondering what I would think of him, since the last time I heard him, at the expo of my first marathon, I'd never heard of ultras and thought he was amazing. I had been somewhat disappointed then, but was wondering if he had gotten better at all this. Verdict: not really. I had heard all the stories the last time, and he ended on an odd and sexist note: reminding first time marathon running women to make sure someone met them at the 25 mile marker to give them some lipstick so they could preen before the finish line photo. Because of course a woman needs makeup after running 26 miles so she can be proud of her finishing photo.

Anyways, that nonwithstanding, its fun to be getting ready for Ed's first road marathon. The race goes within a mile our our house, so I'll be running down to the course to cheer on racers for a bit. Ed's okay with not having anyone to greet him at the finish, so this will be my chance to see him racing tomorrow. He's feeling pretty confident, despite having done an amazing job at Golden Hills Marathon two weeks ago. I hope that he has a great race.

And, I hope that I can keep up with this running :)

7 comments:

Southbaygirl said...

Addy I'm so thrilled you've been running! Woo Hoo! That's awesome!! I'm sure it is making you feel so alive again!
What marathon is Ed running?

Adelyn said...

Thanks :)

Ed's running the "Dean Karnazes Silicon Valley Marathon". It's a smaller race, about 700 people, but it should be a good one for Ed's first big road race :D

runningtwig said...

Congrats! That is awesome! I hope it keeps going well!

Sarah said...

Congrats on the running! I hope it continues to go well for you.

Jessica DeLine said...

congrats on running!

Ryan V. said...

Nice work, Addy! Glad to see you are back.

Jean said...

Way to go, Addy! I hope this trend continues. Best wishes with your running, and continued success!