Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Flying By

Life has seemed to be moving at increasing speed these last few days (weeks, months?). I still need to do my 1/2 marathon post, and yet there seems to be so much more that I also have neglected to share. 

One of the first big changes going on in my life is my employment. Some of you might remember my mention of job uncertainty months ago. Well, that uncertainty proved to be founded, in some respects. I did, indeed, lose my amazing job as a 4th grade teacher at my wonderful school. Luckily, I was also able to earn myself a place as a 6th grade language arts teacher at a middle school in my same district. While I can't deny my sense of loss in no longer being an elementary school teacher, I am excited about this new challenge. I don't know yet how I'll be at this new school, with this new age and new curriculum, but I have high hopes. So far, my staffmates seem to be wonderful, and I even got to start moving into my classroom. I have a feeling the first part of this coming school year will feel like a bit of a flashback to my first year, since it will be a very new experience. 

Finishing my second year of teaching was a wonderful experience. It was an easier ending than last year, though I'll admit that I got a little teary after the last child left. This was a really special group of kids and I feel glad that I got to have such a great year with them. I'm not sure when, or if, I'll be back in an elementary classroom, so this year's memories will have to tide me over for a while. 

The other big event going on (which I've mentioned quite a bit) is that our wedding is fast approaching. Less than 2 weeks, now, which means that I have a lot to get done. Now that I'm finished teaching, I can get some of the hands on projects going. I'll probably share pictures of some of the things after the wedding, but for now I'd like to keep things a surprise. It's lots of fun - but just takes up time! There are also just lots of things that need to happen in the weeks before a wedding - marriage liscence (got it!), picking up the dress and tuxes, gifts for lots of people, evening out my sports bra tan (should have been more careful with sunscreen on runs), packing for the honeymoon, and on and on! Whew, I'm tired just thinking about it. My stomach has been feeling a bit off, and I'm starting to fear that it might be just a small case of nerves kicking in - not because I'm nervous about getting married, just because I'm feeling like there is a lot to do! 

Added to that, I need to be keeping up my running! I was a bad runner last week and only did one of my weekday runs. Ed kept me going on a great 12 miler (stories of that to come!). With the stress of wedding stuff mounting, running is even more important.  

So, that's my life right now. Luckily, I'll get a nice 3 day break from life this weekend as Ed and I join a few other couples for a camping trip in Yosemite. I'm a bit nervous about that to, as I've never camped in bear country before (eeks!) but I am so excited to be in Yosemite. I haven't been there in many, many years, and cannot wait to go again! Pictures will definitely follow :). 

No comments: