Thursday, September 20, 2007

Beautiful Day


Well, today I can finally say that I'm no longer 21 :D

I'm luckily still at the age that getting older seems exciting and a sign of good maturity (rather than something I want to hide!). 22 seems much older than 21, especially since I never felt like I was the typical 21 year old. Ultrarunning pretty well curbed partying, drinking, and all the other shennanagins that are associated with that age.

So, to start off this next. hopefully wonderful, year of my life, I'm going on a short trail run in the morning (I've unfortunately picked up a cold from my germy little bundles of joy at the elementary school, so I've been taking it easy this week), and then one of my friends is baking me a cake tonight. I've sort of felt like my birthday has been in celebration mode since last friday, when my parents came up. We did birthday dinner friday, then Saturday we celebrated again with the OCTR people up for Big Basin, then Big Basin was a birthday run of sorts. Yesterday my school celebrated imy birthday, with them all singing happy birthday to me. My teacher brought in cupcakes, some of the kids asked questions and told me nice things ("How old are you?" "What are you going to get?"; "I like you!!!" "You're beautiful!!") and some made me really sweet cards (one said, "I like you because you are Love"). I came home and was given a dozen roses in all the colors of the rainbow by a new wonderful person. And I got to sleep in today, for the first time in weeks.

So already, I feel incredibly lucky and happy about being another year older :) I'm sure it won't be long before 22 seems young and I get eager to move up again, but I know soon enough I'll be wishing the years didn't fly by so fast, so I'll try to enjoy this year to its fullest. 23 will come soon enough :)


-----


Edit- just went on a beautiful birthday run through redwoods and open fields, on winding singletrack that was mostly uphill out, which made for incredibly fun downhill coming back. We just did about 6 miles since I am sick after all, but it was beautiful. It's a perfect weather day here, with gorgeous blue skies and a clear view of the ocean. I love running :D

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi addy,

happy birthday! you are mature beyond your years for sure. when i was your age, i had many mornings when i joined my group runs reeking alcohol and completely hung over. :) have a great day and wonderful year. enjoy the many miles/hours you'll spend on the trails. hope to eventually do a few runs with ya soon.

cheers!

hao

Jessica DeLine said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!! You've had quite the year for being 21 :)

Rick Gaston said...

Happy Birthday! Ooo the mystery "a dozen roses by a new wonderful person". Haha have a great birthday, and yes kiddies...Germ Magnets, Germ Incubators, Germ Spreaders but it's hard not to play with them.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday, addy!

hey, how do you like being a banana slug?

i am a cowell college graduate and loved my days up on campus.

Miki said...

Ditto Hao but minus the running! You're off to a great start and it looks like you know it. That's wisdom. :) Happy Birthday Addy.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

knew i should have waited--lol Copy & pasted from post below :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bob Gentile said...

HAPPY B- DAY Chica!!!! ( ahhh my new favorite word --haha I got that from Lisa & Marcy-they always say what's up chica...so I jumped in on the Chica lingo :-)

Have a SUPER B-Day Addy!! It's Ur Day Enjoy It!!

PS: I tried ensure on my last long run & I think I will dilute it for my next long run...a little too much on my tummy-lol

Ya a good mantra as for ur 50 miler is "EARLY & OFTEN" u can repeat that one throughout the long day :-)

6:39 AM

Anonymous said...

You got a glorious fall day for your birthday - hope you're out enjoying it! Happy Birthday!!

Mimi

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday, Addy! I like the way you celebrate. And get well soon! : )

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!
~Christine

Donald said...

Happy birthday! I wish I had figured out what you have at age 22. Have a great year.

Backofpack said...

Happy Birthday Addy!

Something tells me that you will never be one of those women who hide their true age. For one thing, it's not the ultra runner way, and why bother? I'm proud that I am 49.83 years old - I've earned my maturity, I've lived a wonderful life, and I'd rather be this age than no age!

Have a great year of being 22...

Greg said...

Let's run your age in miles to celebrate.

Jamie Anderson said...

Happy birthday! Enjoy the double deuce.

Norbert Leinfellner said...

Happy Birthday!
Mine is the day after tomorrow, i.e. still virgo, but some 2 decades older than you! ;-)
Norbert

Abbie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Andy B. said...

Happy birthday, and sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Sounds like you have had a great birthday "week" though, and mystery roses...nice!

Kim said...

Happy Birthday!! Your birthday run was another great present!!

Jean said...

A belated happy birthday to you, Addy! Wow, when I was 22, I was debating the superiority of Keystone Light to Old Milwaukee with my college roommates... :) Your birthday sounded like a special day, and your birthday run sounded incredibly beautiful. Here is to many more happy birthdays like this one!