Monday, July 23, 2007

Tahoe Rim Trail 50k (or how I finally became an ultrarunner)


(The picture links at the bottom have been fixed so that anyone should be able to access them now! Also, the 'man in blue' has been identified, so that's been fixed too :) Let me know if there's anything else that I should add to the report!)

Now, as most of you reading know, I've been gearing up for this race for a while. Talking (well, writing) about it since I signed up in March, and going a bit crazy hoping that I'd be ready to take on this challenge. Thankfully, I couldn't have asked for a better experience, and everything went as well, or better than I ever could have hoped! While I'm sure my training could have been better (it always seems in need of improvement), I think getting in the Altitude training (thanks OCTR!) and about 2 20+ milers a month since April really helped to get me through the race!

Another big benefit was arriving in Tahoe a full 6 days early to vacation with my family.

(my big sister Ashley, Mom, Dad, my younger sister Kortney, and my sister Ashley's Finace James)

Not only did the early arrival allow me some chance at acclimation, but it was really so wonderful and motivating to have my whole family waiting for me at the finish line. This is the first race that everyone has attended, and it was just so special. This added perk was one of the main reasons I picked the race in the first place. It quite conveniently fell at the end of our already planned trip to Tahoe, and so seemed like the perfect way to exerience my first 50k. I didn't run at all that week, but with kayaking, biking, swimming, rafting, and hiking, I figured I was getting more than enough activity in during the last week of tapering.

The only real issue that came up that week was that when I opened the box of new contacts that my parents had brought up for me (having run out before I came up) I discovered that the optomologist's office had accidently canceled the order for my left eye lenses, meaning that I only had contacts for my right eye! After immediately deciding this was a bad omen for the race, we contacted the eye doctor and were able to get them to overnight my new contacts. They arrived tuesday afternoon, and I was thankfully able to see for the rest of the trip (and the race!)

I was getting progressivly more nervous as the week went on, especially since the hike on tuesday seemed, well, challenging. The alitiude was affecting me, and my legs just felt tired. I was a little worried that the 25.5 mile run I had done two weeks before the 50k was too close to the race (usually I do my last long run 3 weeks before) but I just hoped for the best.

Friday my younger sister and dad drove me out to Carson City to pick up my bib. I bought a hat as well, hoping that it wasn't presumptuous to buy it when I hadn't yet completed the race. From there we went over to Scott Dunlap's, who had kindly invited us for some prerace fueling and socializing. Gretchen was already there, as well as Scott's dad, and Jessica showed up a little later.(Photo courtesy of Scott, as I was the only unprepared one without a camra!
the running bloggers-or is it blogging runners? Gretchen, Scott, and Jessica)


It was fun to finally meet Scott and Gretchen, and talking to both of them about their prospective races (100 miles and 50 miles) helped calm my nerves about my own. Us runners enjoyed some yummy vitamin waters as the non runners helped themselves to more exciting drinks :) Leaving Scotts I felt more relaxed than I had all day, that is until I discovered I had left my purse at his place! Apparently, I was too relaxed ;)

After a wonderful pasta bar prepared by my mom and sister, Ashley, I headed back to Scott's to get my purse, and then came back to prepare for the race. The rest of my family enjoyed a game of minature golf, but packing my hydration pack was more important! I laminated cards of the course elevation, a map, directions, and aid station mileage and elevation and made sure everything was set to go. At 11pm I got into bed (well onto the couch...we didn't have quite enough good beds at the condo, and since I wasn't going to sleep well anyways, I figured I might as well take the couch). At 11:45 I was nowhere near sleep so I broke out a 4 year old People magazine (figured if anything would put me to sleep...) and then read the Barkley article in the June Ultrarunner (which calmed my nerves a bit. My race seemed very sane now!) Turned back out lights around midnight and laid awake for probably another hour. 3:30 AM came far too soon, and it was time to be awake once again.


I got all ready, making sure I was slathered with sun screen, and that all my gear was in order. My dad offered to drive me, and we left just after 4:15 to get to the race start. I got there about 10 to 5, and it was a bit chilly! Okay, just about 46 which is nothing to you non-califonians, but I was glad to have on pajama pants and a sweatshirt over my race clothes. As I headed over to the check-in area, a warm yellowish-orange glow could be seen reflecting off the runners. A fire! I thought happy thoughts about how nice it will be to stand around a cackling flame while waiting for our event to start, and headed towards the area, only to realize it was no fire, just a light. In hindsight, I realized that, of course there wouldn't be a fire, not with the likelihood of a single spark sending the forest up in smoke.

I checked in and recieved my bib: number 5! Now, I've never had such a low bib in my life, and still am not sure how I got it. I signed up early, but not that early!! Anyways, I took it as a good sign (though it made me seem like I should have been faster than I was) . Another runner showed me a trick of folding the number to make it easier to pin to your shorts. At this point I was no longer nervous, just excited! My dad offered to hang out until the race start (he was going to volunteer later) which was nice. I enjoyed talking to the other runners. Many people could tell it was my first, because I was apparently looking far too happy for 5 am :).

Soon, familiar faces started arriving. Heather, a woman who I talked to after my first trail race ever, and who was incredibly encouraging of my eventual attempt at a 50k was there, which was really fun. I also saw Ann, who I had done a long training run with just a few weeks before. The OCTR crew soon arrived, and it was fun to see so many familiar faces once again. Most of that crew was doing the 50 miler (they're intense like that) . As the starting time got closer, I saw the Ziskos (Pete and his son Jon) who were also doing the 50 miler. It was Jon's first 50 and he was a bit nervous, but his Dad's a pro, so I knew they'd do great!

Before I knew it we were heading down to the starting line to get final instructions and be on our way. My dad was snapping lots of photos and before I knew it, we were off! It was a cool morning, which was great, though I was a bit chilly in just my tank top. I knew it would warm up though, and didn't want to have to carry it later, which proved to be a good decision. I was sort of bumbling around with different runners until I stumbled upon Karen, a woman who I ran my first 30k with, and have seen at a few races since. She's done loads of ultras and It was nice to be with a familiar face who knew what she was doing :) We started chatting and I shared amusing dating stories from some of my recent experiences. Apparently I had a bit more of an audience than I realized as, after one story, the men in front and behind us commented on the entertainment value of the story. Time flew by, and soon enough an hour had passed! I had decided earlier in the week to not wear my Garmin, as I didn't think I'd finish in under 10 hours, and knew it would probably die at some point, and thought it might be nice to run without worrying about pace or anything, so time was my only gauge of distance.

We soon reached Lake Marlette, which was really exciting, as it was the first big landmark of the race! It was beautiful in the early morning light, and I looked forward to the view down on it that I knew was coming later.


After the lake came the necessary uphill, which we hoped would bring us close to an aid station. Here, I got some good advice about Santa Cruz running, and more recommendations to join the Santa Cruz Track Club (I'm checking it out Wednesday!) It seemed further than I would have thought, but soon enough we coasted into the Hobart Creek Aid Station :)

This was the nicest Aid station I have ever been too! It was so beautifully decorated and well put together. They all were wearing aprons (and I love this sign!)

When else have you seen a white tableclother, candles, and flower on an aid station table? The oranges here were ice cold and delicious, and they also had the treat of chocolate covered ginger (note to self, get some of this!) I could have stayed for hours, but after just a few minutes we were off again. Since I had filled my hydration pack before starting with its 64 ounces, I had no need for water here, and headed off to Tunnel Creek aid station, 5 miles away.

In between these two stations is a climb to 8500 ft or so to Marlette peak, where we'd get some of the most spectacular views of the race.

Karen and I had fun on the way up snapping photos of one another, taking advantage of the deep blue sky and the beautiful surroundings.

At this point I was running predominantly with Karen and Debbie, and Molly joined up with us as well. These three women, all around the same age, had fun with me, calling me the baby and other such stuff :) Yes...I'm young!

(Karen posing with a picture perfect view)

At this point it was hard to put the camera down, as every new step seemed to offer another fabulous view. I'm fairly certain that I could have easily broken 9 hours if I had left the camera at home (heck, I might have even been able to break 8:45 or even 8:30! I did take almost 200 photos). But it definitely wouldn't have been worth it. What's a few extra minutes (or even hours) when it provides you with such wonderful visual keepsakes?

The running in this section was such fun, and I headed out in front of our group to enjoy a bit of the downhills that we got. Downhill running is my absolute favorite and I made sure to take advantage of it every chance I got!

This is one of my favorite shots, and to me just epitomizes the race. Where else could you experience such an amazingly gorgeous trail? Debbie is in front here, followed by Karen and then Molly. All such awesome women!

From there we headed down a serious of switchbacks, where were so much fun! (Little did we realize we'd have to come up these later. Going the opposite direction was, well, decidedly less fun). Still, Molly and I stayed pretty close, periodically commenting on how lucky we were to be here. Really, what on earth could be better than this? We were having a blast :) Before too long, a shocking thing started happening. Runners were passing us going the opposite way! The leaders were already on their way back to the start. Amazing!!!

After going down a bit, we suddenly were greated with a view of Tahoe once more. I climbed up over a few boulders on the side of the trail to get a better look. Yep, definitely not trying to break any speed records here :)

As we came into the Aid station, I saw Michelle Barton fly by and wished her luck. I met her a month or so prior at a fleet feet, and she was just about the nicest (and one of the most amazing runners) I've ever met. She wished me luck right back and I watched as she flew on. At the aid station I opened my water to notice somthing odd. Little white bubbles were in my water! Ah! Apparently I hadn't fully washed out the soap the night before. No wonder the water tasted a bit off. I dumped the rest of the water and got clean liquid. Much better :)

After snacking on m&ms and ruffles (my food of choice) and saying hi to Jessica, who was at this aid station, I moved onward, onto the dreaded red house loop (cue spooky halloween music here).

Now, having here the countless warnings about this section, I was understandably a bit worried. A fun part was that so many people were coming up as we headed down, and I got to see lots of familiar faces :) Molly and I were still together, and we were growing more and more concerned about how steep this downhill was.

Not that we don't love downhill, but this is, indeed a loop and what goes down must come back up again (law #42 of ultrarunning). Still, it was a beautiful area and we figured we'd deal with the hills when the time came. We enjoyed the lush greenery at the bottom of the hill and wondered how far away the red house really was.

Our question was eventually answered when it came into site finally, and we picked up the pace to this famous landmark. I asked an aid station worker to snap a photo (it was a pretty quiet spot) and he proceeded to tell me the history of the house. Unfortunately, at this point, I wasn't necessarily in a place to pick up new information, and was sort of eager to get on my way, so I didn't listen as well as I should have. I did however take pictures of the text so that I could figure out what he was so kindly trying to explain to me later! I was a little frustrated at the lost time, but reassured myself by saying "it's not like it's a race". Oh wait...I guess it is! Ha...again more proof of how not concerned I was about the race aspect of this event. It was much more a lovely adventure in nature than a competition.

The uphills were surprisingly short and not nearly as bad as I had feared. Granted they were still steep and the last 3/4 of a mile especially got a bit warm, but really it wasn't too bad at all. Compared to how horribly I did on the hills at the Sequoia trail race this past February, I was actually quite pleased with my hill climbing ability.

The last deep sand section was a bit more difficult, but was mercifully short, and with that we were back at Tunnel Creek, 17.2 miles into the race :)

Jessica took this great shot of me, being helped into my hydration pack. How many people does it take exactly to get one of these on? I definitely got some less than enthusiatic responses about this pack from aid station workers but always hurriedly explained that I'd be more than happy to get it all set to fill. It's not like I was in a rush :) After some more snacks (I did also have 2 gels so far, besides just the oranges, m&ms, and ruffles) I headed out back to Hobart Aid station, which meant back up those switchbacks I had had so much fun running down.

There were lots of pretty sights along the way, but I was getting increasingly frustrated with the never ending nature of this part of the course. It didn't help that I was now getting passed with what seemed like increasing numbers of ridiculously fast 50 milers and 100 milers. Still they were fun to see go by :)

As we finally cleared this section, I came upon the husband and wife team from A Race for the Soul! Now, I'm a bit of a running dork, and was excited to see them, but didn't want to expose my geekiness, so I didn't try to get their picture or anything ;) I ended up running with them off and on for the next 3 or 4 miles. Ended up they recognized me from the Diablo marathon in April, which was sort of fun. We talked about tahoe and their home in Reno. I was honestly really excited that I could keep up with them!

As we headed back to Marlette Peak, I was excited bccause it seemed like the end was getting a lot closer now. This part was probably one of my favorite sections on the course, and was just as much fun heading back as it was going out.

After returning to Hobart Creek Aid station, we headed for the 2.8 mile climb to snow peak at 9000 ft, our highest point of the race. In this section I experienced my only real low of the whole day. Around mile 23 or so, I just got tired. Tired of climbing. I didn't really want to go to the peak. Also my legs were sore, and I hadn't even done the marathon distance yet! I must have trained improperly. I shouldn't be hurting yet, with 9 miles left. Not sure if it was a good idea, I decided I had to try something, so I popped 2 pain pills and tried my first experience with the double shot espresso cliff shot.

Oh. My. God

Caffine is amazing!!!! As I learned later running with Scott, caffine has the wonderful ability to shoot pain relief directly into your blood stream. The better feeling legs and the energy boost, combined with arrival into what seemed to be an unbelievable alpine meadow left me feeling amazing and almost giddy (okay, very giddy).
As the views of lake Marlette and lake Tahoe came into my horizion, I couldn't stop smiling, and would find myself periodically letting out a small laugh. Suddenly I couldn't have been happier. I was now so glad we had to do this climb and come up here. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Amazingly, I somehow had cell phone coverage up here, so I called my dad to let him know I appeared to be ahead of schedule and somehow might be coming in around 9 hours instead of 10! I let him know I was about 8 miles from the finish and then got back to the task at hand. Because of my stop to make the call (didn't want to lose reception) I had now fallen completely behind the others.

You can barely make out the runners (the tiny dark specks) on the trail above and soon they were out of view entirely. With no runners behind me either, I was suddenly all alone up here and just absolutely amazed by the sensation. Were this not a race (well a sort of race for me anyways) I could have stayed up there all day. Definitely the most beautiful part of the course for me. Now maybe it was the caffine and pain pills talking, but felt on top of the world here.

Coming upon this sign made me even more happy (didn't think that was possible), since I knew now I was much closer to the eventual downhill section after the aid station. As I approached, super cute signed dotted the side of the trail (such as "don't lose your head/to gain a minute/you need your head/your brains are in it") which made me laugh and smile even more. As I arrived, I heard my name being called by multiple people. Who could I know up here?!?! Ends up the boy scout troop manning the station just looked up my name to cheer me in. It was wonderful. I had more of my typical salty sweet combo, as well as some chicken broth and, since the double espresso shot had been so successful, some mountain dew (explained to me by Mike Palmer as amazing stuff).


I had one of the girls at the aid station snap my picture at this high point, and then was off down the downhill, enjoying running once more :) I passed a few people here, and was passed by lots more as more fast 50 milers and 100 milers were catching up (amazing people they are!)

You can barely make out the trail in the picture above. It was amazing, just cut into the side of the hill!
This picture just epitomizes this section. Thin singletrack with awe inspiring views the whole way down. I was having so much fun here, but trying to be cautious as, obviously, this wasn't a good place to lose one's footing :) In not too long, I heard some more people coming from behind, and heard a somewhat familiar voice. Soon enough, I was passed by Scott and his friend! Scott was way ahead of pace and doing great. I stayed with them for a bit, enjoying the challenge and push of running a bit faster. Scott told his friend that this was my first 50k, to which he replied, "You know, there are easier races for your first". Yeah...I apparently don't like taking the easy way out, whenever I can help it :) After 5 or 10 minutes with them, I fell back, content to return to my more comfortable pace.

Scott zoomed off with his friend (gotta get his name...) and I was back to normal. Now as I got passed each time (and it happened plenty) I always tried to say something positive to the runner, as they were all so amazing to be running that fast (I didn't really get passed by 50kers at this point, so all the runners passing me had also done 18 more miles than me at this point). As another runner came from behind, I pulled off to the side and issued yet another "you're doing great!" as I turned back to see the runner. He replied with a "you too" and left me with my mouth slightly agape. I had just given an encouraging remark to Tim Tweitmeyer!!!!! I was sort of in shock, feeling a little silly to have told him he was doing great, when, well, of course he was doing great. It was really exciting to have spoken to him though, and see him in person :)

I continued on, glowing a bit from my brush with fame ;), and making sure I wasn't spacing out here to the point of falling over a rock. I popped another espresso jel (or jet fuel, as I like to call it) to give me a little more boost coming in. I eventually caught up to Pauline from Minnesota and we ran together until we finally reached the final aid station 1.7 miles from the end. I took a picture of the clock there (which apparently didn't come out) and one of the guys working there said, "you know, this isn't the finish" Really?!?! Oh well, apparently not everyone understands my pechant for photo taking. I gulped down a cup of water (it was feeling pretty hot and humid at this point) and hurried on. By my calculations, I had to do 1.7 miles in 20 minutes to break 9:10, my time at The Diablo Marathon, and my new goal. I wasn't sure that I could do it, but I had to try.

Pauline yelled to me "Go get your parents!" and I set out to do just that, running as hard as I could when I could, but forced to take a few walking breaks when the short hills just got to be too much. I could see the white finishing tent, but it still seemed so far away. I kept pushing and soon I saw some people sitting at the side of the trail. They started cheering and before I knew it I could see the finishing line. I crossed underneath at 9:04:50, breaking even 9:05!!! Apparently I just killed that last section :) My entire family was waiting under the tent, taking pictures and cheering. I'm sure I was grinning like crazy as I pushed my way across the finish line. With a bit of difficulty I unpinned my number to detach the slip, and the medal/bottle opener was placed around my neck. I was given hugs by all and handed my celebratory beer, which was huge!!! It's funny, my sister recounted to me that they were chatting with the finish line beer guy and said something about my being 21. The guy then said, "but....she is 21, right?!?!?!?" I am indeed, and even carried my ID in case I got carded ;) (funnily enough, I was indeed the youngest in the 50k. So I totally won the 21 and under category :D)First, I decided water would be good, and then went for the beer, which was also quite lovely (and added to my already deliriously happy state).
(Jessica Deline took this great photo of me heading out of the finisher's tent :) It was so great to see you this weekend Jessica!)

I headed out to the other side and saw Jessica and Pam (who had already finished. Awesome job!) Scott was getting all set in the aid station tent for the 100 milers feeling great. I wished him luck and then headed back to my family. In route I ran into Sarah (from PCTR) who congratulated me. I excitedly told her that I beat my time from the Diablo marathon by 5 minutes, a feat that I thought was impossible! After returning to my family, my friend Terry showed up, who had run the Diablo marathon with me. It was great seeing him, as it had been a while, and it was fun introducing him to my family. Sarah, my berkeley friend, also showed up miraculously (it was awesome) and I also got to introduce her to my family. It was so nice having so many wonderful people there that I cared about. We all hung out while I waited for other people to finish. Molly came in a bit later, as well as Karen, and Greg did just unbelievable, finishing in something like 9:45 for the 50 miler!!! Though I didn't see him finish, I'd also just like to note here how amazing Jasper did, breaking the old course record (his from last year) and finishing the course in a mind blowing 18:16!!!!! It's just unfathomable, except for the fact that it's Jasper and he is, well unbelievable. Congrats on the championship!!!!!!!!

After I had seen many of the people I had wanted to see finish (and I was feeling a bit drained) I decided to head up the hill (yes, up!) to the burrito bar and the bathrooms. I'll admit the beer was affecting me just a bit, but it just made me all the more happy and excited to be finished. I got some food and sat down with Ann, Heather, the man in blue (who Heather has informed me is Phil Wright, an amazing man and athlete who as finished the 4th most 100 mile races of anyone! (50). How amazing is that?!?!? Gotta love all the amazing people that you get to interact with at these races). Greg and sarah joined us as well and we all hung out, enjoying the good. Both Greg and I were amazed by out good times and were a aglow about it. I had another ultra celebrity sighting, seeing Eric Clifton walking around. Gosh, so cool!!

After some wonderful socializing, the tiredness of the day finally hit me and it was time to go home.

All in all, I was amazed by everything. For as nervous as I was, once the race started, everything felt at peace. It all just felt right (well, maybe not mile 23, but everything else ;) ). It really surprised me at how the extra distance didn't really seem to exist of there (possibly in part because I didn't have a gps reminding me of exactly how far I had gone). It was almost like I was just floating out there. The race was just so well done, from the great course markings to the fabulous aid stations, to the saintly volunteers (you guys are amazing!!!!) I just couldn't have asked for a nicer race. Added to that, The other runners were all just so fabulous. I got so many congratulations and encouraging remarks from others when they found out this was my first. One remarked, "how wonderful for you! You'll never forget your first ultra" with this air of some priveledged memory; perhaps he was recalling his own first experience. Quite a true comment but really, I dont' think I'd ever be able to forget this race, even if it wasn't my first. It was just the perfect day.

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement and advice (both on here, coolrunning and the ultralist!) This community is one of the main reasons that this sport is so enjoyable and I'm so thankful for all of your kindness.

Now...about training for a 50 miler.....

;)


(for more photos (because I took a million) go here)

30 comments:

kelly said...

Great race report and a great time for your first 50k. TRT is a tough race, you should be proud of yourself. Good job!! Start training for that 50 miler!!

Jasper Halekas said...

Addy,

Great race report! Congratulations again. I just wanted to chime in on what you said about having so many wonderful people out there that cared for you. I felt exactly the same way on Saturday, and I think it's the single best thing about the ultra community. We're lucky to have so many good friends out there...

-Jasper

Dave - Atlanta Trails said...

Loved this race report. You have such a wonderfully positive attitude!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again, Addy! I was so happy to be there to congratulate you on your first ultra finish - you should be very proud of yourself!!

Thanks for the great race report and wonderful photos - hope to see you again soon.

Sarah

Jessica DeLine said...

Great report and great pics! I love that you gave an encouraging remark to Tim without at first realized who he was :)

Great job out there!

Anonymous said...

hey addy,

this is hao. i ran with you, karen and karen from the start all the way to tunnel creek. congratulations on such a great race. enjoy the recovery. hope to see you at one of the other bay area ultras soon. :)

cheers!

hao

Lloyd said...

Congratulations, Addy! You certainly deserve it.

I agree with you--the coolrunning site, among others, has been so very helpful and supportive in shaping the ultrarunner that I have become.

Now, is there a chance one of your photos can make the cover of Trailrunner or Ultrarunning?

Best,
Lloyd

Journey to a Centum said...

I can hear the foodsteps now.. I'll be running a 100 miler and I'll get "chicked" with a "berkley girl on your left"!

You really did a fantastic job with this race. I know you were probably very tired when you finished but you look good! I've seen many other ultra finishes that I term "closed casket finish" and you certainly were not in that category.

You should have released this race report in separate installments like the Harry Potter Series! Nice report! I feel like I've run the course! You picked a beautiful area to run your first ultra. I look forward to reading your next report for ultra #2!

Eric

Unknown said...

Amazing photos! Congratulations on a great race.

Leslie said...

Way to go Addy! I'm so excited for you!

seagull junker said...

great report. brother placed 7th in the 100 and just three weeks after WS 100. he was in "survival" mode from mile 15! he loved the race also.

great job! you have so many more years to enjoy this sport! it will be fun to watch you tackle great races!

Sarah said...

Loved your report! Congrats again on an awesome first 50k! I just love your enthusiasm. After taking the early start I've been passed a few times by some of the ultra "stars" including Scott Jurek. So I know that feeling you had seeing Tim T. That's what I love about this sport. Even the greats are super nice and encouraging!

I'm pondering Firetrails so maybe I'll see you there. : )

Soapin' Cindy said...

Addy...this was wonderful. I think it was funny that you and I, on two ends of the country, doing our first 50's ever--had the same bib number 5! My race organized the numbers alphabetically. It was a lucky number for me! Awesome pictures. You are so lucky. What an experience. I'm sure this is the first of many ultras for you!

Scott Dunlap said...

You are a ROCK STAR!!! Welcome to the ultra club...

SD

Adelyn said...

kelly- Thanks so much! Training is beginning (in some form) as we speak :)

Jasper- Thanks! Congratulations again to yourself!! It was fun being able to 'follow' you loosely out there, and getting reports about how you were 'flying' as I went through aid stations :) Glad you had so many great people out there to surround you! It really is one of the best things about this sport :)

Dave- Thank you! Glad you stopped by

Sarah- It really was so great to see you (and finally have you meet my family so that now they hopefully won't alway have to have me qualify you as 'berkeley running cooking Sarah' when I talk about you :)

Jessica- it was so great seeing you out there!

Hao- it was so nice to meet and run with you for a bit in the beginning. How did the rest of your race go? Hopefully we'll cross paths again sometime soon.

lloyd- Coolrunning really does have some great and inspirational people. :) That'd be amazing if one of my photos ever got published, but somehow I doubt that that'd be at all realistic :) A girl can dream though, I suppose!

Eric- That'd be the day! Can't see that happening any time soon though :) I really did feel great at the finish, sort of out of it, but in a good way. No death march for me! I do tend to write a bit too much in these reports, but considering I had 9 hours to cover, there was lots to be said!

Rob- Thanks for stopping by!

Lesle- Thank you :)

Tom- Your brother is just amazing. Sounds like he is just an absolutely phenomenal runner. And its great how proud of him you are. You sound like a great brother!

Sarah- It really is so nice how accessible the stars of the sport are (case and point, Jasper being such an awesome and friendly guy :) ) I'm so excited for you that your race is almost here! You should definitely do firetrails...it'd be so fun to meet and run with you! (well, run behind you...you'd definitely smoke me out there :))

Red- I love that our numbers were the same. Apparently 5 is the number for first time 50kers. We're both awesome :)

Scott- Thanks! You are as always amazing as well. Can't wait to read your report :) (did you have your camera out there? I'm guessing yes...in which case, can't wait to see the photos too!)

JohnF said...

Congratulations. Great report and pictures.

Phil said...

Great report and beautiful pictures Addy. I loved your comment about, "The uphills were surprisingly short". I'd think that after 32 miles, a 10ft raise would be painful.

Great run (I'm still in awe of your achievement) and best of luck training for your first 50mi.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your awesome accomplishment, Addy! I loved your race report and all your pics - great job. This one is definitely now on my list of things to do! Hoping we can soon get together for a run.

Mimi

Gretchen said...

Yeah Addy nice job!! It was so great to finally meet you. You know this race was my first ultra too back in '03...I think it's a great one for a first because it's beautiful and other 50K's will seem easy by comparison! You have the best attitude Addy, I love it. I know I will see you at more races in the future, but in the meantime let's go running next time you're up here!
Congrats again, and good luck in school.

Unknown said...

hmmm...i thought i posted already, but i guess not.

--------

congratulations again, addy. i ran with kris yesterday and he was one proud papa bear. he couldn't wipe that grin off his face when talking about you. great run and recap!

Adelyn said...

john- Thank you!

Phil- I think, luckily, I just built it up enough so that a lot of it wasn't as bad as I had imagined. And it's amazing how much easier hills are when you're just hiking up them :)

Mimi- You should definitely check this race out sometime. It's wonderful! I definitely hope we can get together for a run sometime soon :)

Gretchen- It really was a great one for your first! I'll definitely contact you any time I'm up in Tahoe :) It was really nice to finally get to meet you, and I'm sure I'll see you at more races!

e-rod- Glad you had a good run with my Dad :) It was really nice having him at the run (and maybe someday I'll have him running with me! You guys work your magic :))

Unknown said...

Addy Congrats on your accomplishment. Love the pictures and your race details. I had the pleasure of running with your dad yesterday. Great guy!

Ryan said...

Thanks for the nice comments and I’m glad you enjoyed the photos.

I see you had a remarkable weekend also at TRT. Outstanding race report and accomplishment, congratulations! What a great place to be and run! Sounds like an ULTRA perfect weekend. Cheers too many more…..

Adelyn said...

Pete- Thank You! I'm glad you enjoyed running with my Dad :) I think being part of the group will be great for him!

Ryan- thanks for stopping by :) Seems like it was a good weekend for ULTRA across the board!

Rick Gaston said...

Congratulations Addy, haha how about that 50! Seriously good job, great pics too. Got the link from the posting you made to the ultra list, also just finished Scott Dunlap's report and saw you referenced there as well. May there be many more great races to come.

Ryan V. said...

Congrats on your first 50K, Addy! The race description and pictures were great. I'm looking to do a 100 mile run next year (assuming my November 50 miler goes alright), and TRT sounds pretty cool!

Andy said...

Congratulations Addy! I really enjoyed reading your race report and seeing the photos.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on becoming 'Ultra' status...feels good doesn't it?
I earned mine in February with the Sylamore Trail 50k in Arkansas (and a fantastic race I might add). It is always nice to see someone doing these races around my age (22). Keep up the good work and good luck on the 50 miler...I wish my family was supportive as yours, they think I'm killing myself!!

denalifc said...

Addy,

GREAT race report. Very inspiring and makes me want to get back to the Tahoe area really quick. Thanks for the link and sharing. You rock.

Cheers
Ian, Naperville, IL

Kabri said...

Hey Addy! I came across your blog as I was prepping to run the Diablo Marathon course as a training run. Thank you for the information - I had a great day, and it was my first marathon distance trail run! Actually, I got lost near Rock City, so it was technically a 27.7miler :) Anyway, I'm signed up for the Tahoe 50K this year! I picked up trail running last October, and will be running my first 50K (Skyline-to-the-Sea) in two weeks. I figure the Diablo run is good training for the Tahoe race ... but did you do any training for the altitude specifically? Anyway ... good luck with future endeavors!

Kabri