Friday, March 16, 2007


As this is a fairly life changing event, it seems fitting as my first post on this blog :) I just gained acceptance into UC Santa Cruz's credential and masters program so, starting this summer, I'll be on my way to becoming a teacher! My entire life I've thought that I'd go into teaching, despite various points where I tried to reject that path. However, now this goal is completely tangible and looming closer than ever. I've start imagining what my classroom will look like, how I'll teach the subjects, what books I'll read outloud to the students after lunch time.

I've always been a perfectionist, and I know I won't be satisfied with being just a 'good' teacher. I want to be great; I want to be a teacher that is remembered by her students years later as having made a lasting impression. I want to put together the curriculum in insightful and fascinating ways. And I want to encourage athleticism amonst my students. Not in terms of competition but in terms of making being active fun. I hated running and most PE things because I was never a natural athlete. Now I know that that's not important. I really hope to have some kind of Girls on the Run program at my school that I can help run to encourage girls to be active and enjoy it, even if they are the slowest one out there. I wish someone had explained to me that being fast wasn't everything, and didn't mean I was bad at being active.

My life is going to change so much over the next year, and I can't wait to see where it's going to lead!